Congratulations to the 2017 nominees and award recipients!
The first annual Global Advantage Business Awards were held on March 29, 2017 and were a great success!
Nominees in the category of Immigrant Inclusion in the Workplace had implemented a variety of innovative practices, including:
Language interpretation in the interview and training process
- Buddy systems that match new employees with someone who speaks their language so that they can fully understand and perform their duties
- On-site language training
- Links to settlement organizations
- International recruitment
Nominees in the category of Immigrant Entrepreneur Success had inspiring stories of personal resilience and business success, including:
- Product development and distribution
- Sharing experiences and knowledge with other immigrant entrepreneurs
- Successfully providing products and services in culturally diverse industries
- Donating time and resources to local community organizations and community engagement
The Award Recipients are:
Immigrant Inclusion in the Workplace Award: Guelph
Immigrant Entrepreneur Success Award: Guelph
Immigrant Inclusion in the Workplace Award: Wellington County
Immigrant Entrepreneur Success Award – Wellington County
The 2017 Global Advantage Business Awards were hosted by Kithio Mwanzia of the Guelph Chamber of Commerce and included speakers Warden of Wellington County Dennis Lever, City of Guelph Councillor Cathy Downer, Danby CEO Jim Estill and the Honourable Lloyd Longfield, M.P. for Guelph.
A key theme among the speakers highlighted the community’s commitment to fostering a welcoming environment for immigrants whether they are employed by a local company, or are self-employed. Danby CEO Jim Estill explained his proactive approach to bringing Syrian refugees into the community and supporting their settlement process.
The Honourable Lloyd Longfield, M.P. emphasized the commitment of the federal government to supporting successful immigration in growing communities like Guelph.
The award recipients also had a chance to share their thoughts and moving stories regarding their experiences as immigrants and successes in the community.
We look forward to hearing further success stories and encourage community members to start thinking about future nominees for the 2018 Global Advantage Business Awards.
Congratulations to all of the nominees for their outstanding achievements!
Learn about each of the nominees by clicking on the profiles below:
- Conseil scolaire Viamonde
- Mapleton’s Organic
- Allan Gancena – My Kitchen by Gancena
And thanks again to our sponsors and volunteers for making this event possible!
For more information:
Ella Henderson, Project Specialist
519-822-1260 ext. 2634